What NOT to bring bonefishing.
Things that don’t belong on a flat.
- iPods w/ headphones or any derivative thereof… I mean, really?
- Orvis wading booties (that cost twice what they should and 100% more than they’re worth… do the math).
- Boga Grip® or any derivative thereof. Why? They kill fish.
- Sandals. I don’t care what you call them or what brand they are—Tiva®, Keen®, or whatever—you’ll regret it.
- Grey polarized sunglasses (unless you’re legitimately color blind, then maybe).
- Rod tubes… I mean, why?
- Cell phones (that are turned on). I suppose having one is a good idea in case your buddy gets drunk, falls in, and is mauled by a cormorant, but otherwise, no.
- Jet Skis… death to the infidel. (Are you allowed to say that on the internet?)
- Dogs. (They’re for hunting, kids, and playing frizbee. Much like most healthy, well adjusted cats, bonefish aren’t fans.)
- Fly lines that claim they float, but don’t… they will Severely Affect your sanity, casting ability, and general good nature toward the universe in general, making you want to throttle all CEO’s, jet skiers, cormorants, inventors of crappy fly gear, and possibly yourself (but not dogs, cause they’re cool and don’t really know any better).
That’s the top 10. In no particular order, although sandals, dogs and non-floating fly lines are up there. There are others, but these are my personal pet favorites. Have any to add (or disagree with). Feel free below.