The Indian Ocean Chronicles: Day I

Barjack's 1st Indo-Pacific Permit...aka 'The Oystercracker'

Living Vicariously Through Himself

Barjack the Angler
Undisclosed Flat
Indian Ocean
February 25, 2011

To Whom it May Concern:

Day I

Well I made it. I’ve just stepped off a 36-hour flight—due in part to four two-hour layovers and an eleven hour time change. The only reason I know the actual calendar day is because it’s my first day in the Indian Ocean [1].

Friday’s here are half-days—yep tough life—so I meet up with Ben and hit the water. The bonefish here are like nothing I’ve seen; they act like snook, cruising the beaches, crashing bait like jacks and thrashing around. We got down to a sandbar and there were bones all over, I had a few follow, some eat, but I couldn’t manage to stick one.

All of a sudden I herd Ben say something I turn and there it is my first GT sighting! Monster! There I am like an idiot holding a 7wt and size 6 bonefish fly as a 40+pound GT glides by (moving no less then 10MPH with ease). That’s as helpless as I have ever felt—like they sent me to Afghanistan with a slingshot and some marbles. At that point I think Ben lost it. Unable to complete a sentence for a good 20 minutes, every utterance ending in holy shit, he launched into a tirade of curse words, but I think I was to sleep deprived to even understand at that point.

Ok. Just keep fishing.

There are triggerfish here, orange and black… and parrot fish—at least three species I’ve seen so far. I caught a striped trevally (I think); it has barbells like a catfish, but it’s unusual appearance was the main redeeming factor as it has nowhere near the fight of even the little blue trevally.

Mmm, I wonder what fly Davin used to catch triggers on the flats?

Oh yeah, and by the way, they do have permit. I live 60 yards from the short pier, which luckily is where the short-bus fish live. I was standing on the pier looking into the water Friday and saw something cruising and flashing. I hurried down to the water, found it again and managed to drop the fly on its head. Before I can even twitch the fly I’m tight!  Back at home I do a little research and discover the fish was indeed an Indo-Pacific Permit, as I thought (and hoped). I also caught a pompano Saturday, and their edges are black, not yellow.

Today the tide poured out then was slack all day, the bones were just slanking everywhichaway and I had a hard time getting a good bead on them since the tide wasn’t moving. They were all 1 to 2½-pound bones, but I did well and got my confidence up… then the monster almost ran me over! Again! I was a ways down from where we fished the day before and got a few then I look behind me and that big ol’ flippin’ GT was coming right at me, I seriously could have poked him with my rod tip. I’ve rigged a system to have the second rod on my camelback, but that doesn’t actually help much, not when your heart is about to explode out of your chest as you try to swap rods and get a cast out in fifteen seconds.

I just read some of this back. Wow.

If none of this rambling makes sense it could be from sun poisoning… or sleep deprivation…

Signing off,

1 Actually, I’m a little fuzzy on this. It might have been a day or two, but what with the jet-lag, sleep deprivation, and walking about 20 miles through water. Let’s just call it Day I and be done with it. [back]

Share :
Related Posts

Leave Your Comment

© 2009-2018 Davin Ebanks All Rights Reserved -- Copyright notice by Blog Copyright